For the past several years, Philip and I have been involved in a small-group Bible study. Group has essentially served as "church" for Philip and me, as we don't have a real church home right now. Group is what has kept us studying the Bible together, reading books about spiritual growth, praying, and staying accountable to friends who also follow Jesus.
It's gone through many changes over time. Couples have had kids; they've moved on to other groups, other cities. Philip and I are now the longest standing members. For the last several months, we've been down to six members (us and two other couples), and we've fought to keep meeting despite each couple's other commitments with work and family.
I think the six of us could all sense that our time was winding down. We didn't have a clear vision anymore for what our focus should be or how to grow, and we are feeling the pull of finding more permanent church homes and plugging in. We decided as a group to continue meeting until the end of 2012 and then move on.
Last night was our final regular study. We wrapped up our discussion on the book of Ecclesiastes, helped each other process the heartbreaking, mind-blowing scandal rocking Summit Church this week, and split up guys/girls for a prayer time.
During the prayer time, I shared about my frustration with my follicles. I had since talked to the nurse, who said the doctor wants me to come back in on Friday for a follow-up ultrasound at no charge. I was thrilled that I wouldn't be charged for the scan, but the timing of the treatment was still stressing me out. The nurse said if one or two follicles had grown enough by Friday, we would likely do the IUI on Sunday morning. I'm supposed to leave on Sunday to drive down to Palm Beach for a wedding-industry conference, so the timing isn't ideal, but could work. However, if the IUI needs to happen on Monday, that would be a problem.
Amber and Laura were, as always, attentive listeners. They asked good questions, prompting me to consider options I hadn't thought of. Then they prayed for me. During the prayer, I thought of a verse from Proverbs that had come up during our discussion:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
It's so hard to trust God in the midst of fertility treatment. When you're going through it, you're essentially trying to control your body and make it do things it won't do on its own -- things, by the way, that God created it to do. You're taking medications that replace or trump natural hormones, and you're undergoing procedures that supersede sex. How do I let go and trust God while also making these complicated plans?
But as often happens, the girls' prayer for me brought peace, and I left feeling that I just needed to be honest with my boss and then trust that God would work it out one way or the other -- and I needed to be okay with wherever the chips fell.
So, this morning I explained the situation to my boss, and without missing a beat, she said it was fine for me to drive to the conference a day late if needed. She really couldn't have been more understanding.
On Friday I'll find out the status of my follicles. It's possible that they'll still be way too small, or that too many of them will have matured (my nurse literally said the clinic won't let me become an Octomom), and that the whole cycle will get canceled anyway. But I'm on this wild path with God, and I know I'll be a lot more at rest if I can trust that he's really in control and that he works all things out for the good of those who love him and that he has plans to prosper me and not to harm me.
It's a day-to-day thing for sure. Some days I curse him. Some days I want to give up. Some days I'm so unhappy that I worry I might sabotage my marriage and all my friendships. But other days I feel hopeful, halfway normal, open-handed for whatever God wants to give or take away.
And I definitely feel thankful for the years of pursuing God together with the other couples, especially the women, in the small group. Thank you, ladies. Your prayers and friendship have kept me from falling off the deep end. You've helped me hang onto my weak thread of faith, and you've been a bridge of support during a vulnerable time when being part of a larger church body just didn't seem emotionally possible. I will be watching with great curiosity to see where God leads us all next, and I want to stay close -- you can ask me about my follicles anytime.
2 comments:
Hi Erika, it's Elizabeth. It's that time, again, for me when I haunt infertility blogs late at night, updating myself on the news of my fellow cyber infertiles... I just lost another pregnancy at 7 weeks, the dr said it was doomed right from the beginning. My 4th ivf try. My 7 precious embryos. How long can I take this?? Freeking Jessica Simpson is pregnant (again! WTF??) doesn't help matters; our baby would have been born in the summer too. I'm amazed at your steadfast faith in God and how you are able to put your trust in him. I lost that precious part of me a long time ago, God doesn't listen to my prayers. Losing my pregnancies, the ones I have prayed so much for and fought so hard for, is something I will never understand. To have such a strong desire in our hearts for motherhood, and not to be given that gift, is inconceivable to me. I am gutted, I am broken, and so lost in my faith. And yet, I am still encouraged by you! Keep writing to us! We read! And we silently nod our heads, and chuckle, and sigh, and cry a little while you put into such eloquent and real words what we go through in this crazy struggle to have our babies! Nyt nyt! From Canada! :)
Elizabeth, I am so, so sorry to hear that you lost another pregnancy. I truly cannot even begin to understand that heartbreak. My husband and I are still relatively early in this IF journey, having not even tried one IUI yet. I've never been pregnant, never even really suspected a pregnancy. I can't imagine the joy of seeing a BFP and then going through the wrenching loss. And to experience that multiple times ... that kind of pain is unfathomable to me. I don't know where I will be faith-wise in a year, if we'll have tried multiple rounds of IVF and still find ourselves a family of two. My faith truly is day by day, often hour by hour. I don't want to go through this without a caring God, but not knowing how it all ends is the hardest part. Will we end up going down the road of adoption? Will we eventually just surrender and travel the world, just the two of us? After going through years of unfulfilled desire and loss, will we still be able to trust in God? I really don't know. I do know that I fully empathize with people who have had a major faith crisis because of IF. I barely even scratch the surface on this blog of what I feel about all of this spiritually, because it's too raw. Thank you for reading and sharing your heart. Much love from FL. <3 <3 <3
Post a Comment