Friday, June 03, 2011

WHAT'S NEXT?

So I resurrected the ol' New Aesthetic blog today. It kind of made me feel a bit omnipotent, that I was able to find the long-dead Web log (whose URL we let lapse years ago and is now for sale), give it a new URL, rename it and even update the html for the Friends box. These are not major feats for more technologically adept people, but for me, it was a great achievement worthy of a hearty self-pat on the back.

I even went back and reread some old posts I wrote and didn't cringe. Now THAT'S something.

So I've been thinking for some time that I need to start writing recreationally again. It brings me joy. And also deep fear about what people think of what I've written. But mostly joy. I used to want to keep a blog about the unique challenges and wonders of newlywed life, but now that Philip and I have been united in holy matrimony for almost six years, I think I have to finally let go of the cute idea that we are still newlyweds.

Nevertheless, marriage at any stage is still ripe soil for storytelling, so I think I will go ahead and explicitly exploit our relationship for the practice of my craft, and also, hopefully, for the enjoyment of my readers (fingers crossed I have some).

Plus, we seem to be at a crossroads, having decided that we are, at long last, ready to start a family. I have to admit, saying it out loud makes me shudder just a smidge, as I've always recoiled when people ask the inevitable question, "So ... when are YOU going to have kids?" After six years of marriage, we're hearing it more often, and I even imagine people are silently asking it in awkward pauses sometimes, i.e., I apologetically explain why we don't have kids yet even when nobody inquired.

Pretty much every couple we know has entered the baby universe. This includes couples who are years younger than us, couples who were married long after us, and even couples who swore they would never procreate. OK, there are a few of you husbands and wives out there who are still among the childless ranks with us, but you are far between.

To be honest, I don't know why it has taken us so long to decide it's time. But to be even more honest, I don't understand how everyone else got to that point so quickly. Frankly, the thought of being a parent scares the $#!+ out of me. I don't even know how to change a diaper, let alone teach a child how to cope with rejection or explain heaven. And the other side of it is pure selfishness -- I enjoy sleeping in and traveling all over the place and generally doing as I please.

But lately (that is, when I turned 30 about 15 months ago), my thinking began to shift. The "someday" of when I wanted to have kids seemed much more imminent. The face I saw in the mirror didn't look like a clueless, helpless 20-something; it was the face of an adult with her feet on the ground and a little know-how about surprisingly a lot. The baby aisles at Target, which had NEVER attracted my attention in the past, suddenly piqued my interest. (One day, while researching ideas online for a baby shower I was throwing, I ended up on a baby-nursery blog and was downright engrossed.) Philip and I have our finances pretty well in order and have checked off some major life-list items, including taking one big dream trip. And I just felt ready for what's next. Four years at my job and in our house, and I'm feeling the itch for another adventure, one with gravity.

And Philip has been moving slowly in this direction too, to my great relief. While we were in Thailand at a resort, we kept passing by the kiddie pool and both felt the twinge: Oh MAN, that pool looked fun!

So on this blog, I shall chronicle our journey toward parenthood, which, Lord willing, will be quick and effortless, but could take some time and turn out to be painful and disappointing (which is another reason I hesitate to even admit we're "trying," but c'est la vie, it's out there now). And of course, I still intend to bore you with one-off tales of my press trips (read: how hotels and tourism bureaus bribe me with over-the-top meals and indulgent spa treatments so I will write nice things about them) and just the regular goings-on of our quasi-suburban life. I hope you'll come along for the ride.

No comments: