I’m sorry I was rude toward you on Sunday morning. You see,
it was 9 a.m., and already a transvaginal wand had been probing around my
desolate uterus. And now, you won’t allow me to make an appointment for a
follicular scan on Monday, because Monday is a holiday, and I am frustrated
because certain steps need to be taken on certain days, and my ovaries don’t
celebrate Labor Day.
I tried to tell you in a nice way that when I was on the
phone with the nurse a few days ago, she specifically instructed me to make an
appointment for the morning of Labor Day, because I will be out of town the day
before. But then you looked at me with a withering stare that said, “Your
travel plans are not my problem,” and I may have lost my temper with you a bit.
Or went totally berserk, it’s hard to say.
I must admit, your attitude was less than stellar, but going
into work to deal with sad, desperate infertiles is probably not your favorite
thing to do on a Sunday morning. And you are not alone. The rest of your staff,
for the most part, is equally brusque, checked out or clueless.
I’ve been called the wrong name by a doctor I’ve never seen before
while laying on my back in a surgical suite, bare vag to the sky, in order to
have dye pumped through my fallopian tubes. I’ve had a plebotomist
complain to me about her kids while drawing my blood. I’ve been confused by the patient coordinator, barked at by your finance department, overwhelmed by handouts, and forced to ask the nurse exactly
when to have “timed relations” while sitting in my office cubicle on the phone.
For all this, I’m paying your clinic hundreds
of dollars. And we’re only just beginning.
We were hoping for answers, but instead I got
a prescription for a breast-cancer drug that’s being prescribed off-label,
because your employer can’t really figure out what’s wrong with us. And
standing before you, begging you to schedule me an appointment to have my
follicles checked, is not something I ever, in a million years, imagined myself
doing. Yet there I was.
So you’ll have to forgive me that I lost my
temper. If you had let me schedule the appointment, I could rest assured that
everything would be on track for Philip to shoot me up with a syringe full of
hormones in 11 days. That is all I want in life right now. ALL. I. WANT. And
you were standing in my way. So I got upset.
But I recognize that you were just trying to do your job, and my infertility is not
your fault. It’s no one’s fault. There’s no one to be mad at, so I got mad at
you, which isn’t fair. I apologize. I promise it won’t happen again. At least
not as long as someone else is manning the front desk the next time I come in.
Sincerely,
Erika
1 comment:
Aggghhhhhhh
Post a Comment