I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Larissa and Ian — how sad it makes me that such a vibrant life was turned upside down by tragedy. Why would God allow it? It’s such a childish question, but nevertheless one I keep coming back to as I wrestle through my own pain of not being able to conceive.
But Larissa is the one who really strikes me in this pair —
someone so young who chooses a life of sacrifice and selfless love, without
much prospect of receiving anything in return. She has to give up so much of
what she would like to do in order to take care of her husband and all the
household chores and expenses — cooking, laundry, groceries, bills, pushing
Ian’s wheelchair, managing his meds and falling asleep every night next to a
man who can barely speak. It’s so counter to everything our culture says about
love and romance and self-actualization. It’s so counter to my own comfort
level.
Their story has challenged me on a number of levels. First and
most obviously, it opened my eyes to how much about Philip I take for granted —
that he is full of life and energy and opinions and wit; that we run together,
blood pumping and lungs heaving and feet coming down on the hard pavement and
it hurts so much but we can DO it and then when it’s over we feel dizzy with
delicious endorphins; that he teases me and makes the most inappropriate jokes;
that he works impossibly hard at his job in order to provide for our family;
that he plans for our financial future; that he chips in with the household
chores usually even more so than me; that he follows his passions and interests
with enthusiasm and joy; that he listens to me and gives me back rubs; that he
sits down with me to prepare for our small-group Bible study; that he supports
me when I want to do weird things like acupuncture and extreme diets; that he
plays with our cats; and even that we fight with such emotion — two strong
wills locked in opposition, able to form arguments and assert our positions.
Secondly, Larissa’s selflessness makes me embarrassingly
aware of how selfish I am. That the moment Philip fails to do any of the above
or I perceive that I’m not his number-one priority and focus, I’m displeased
with him. How rare it is that I’m actually thinking of his needs first and
dreaming up ways I can serve him better. This self-obsession has only gotten
worse as our issues with fertility drag on; I see myself as somehow deserving
all his sympathy and care because I’m hurting inside, rather than rising above
my own personal sadness to still be a loving, serving wife who thinks of others
first.
A third thing that struck me about the video was all the
other gorgeous, healthy couples and families that surround Ian and Larissa. I
mean, just really good-looking, stylish, hipster people with beautiful
children. And here are Larissa and Ian, not withdrawing from all the
perfect-looking families, but living right in their midst, experiencing
community with them. This has been by far one of the hardest aspects of our
current frustrations with fertility — being surrounded by good-looking, stylish
people with big, round, adorable bellies and beautiful children. My jealousy is
so intense. It’s just really intense. And it’s not just jealousy; it’s an
in-my-face reminder of everything I want but don’t have, and it intensifies my
heartache. My response so far has been to slowly withdraw from fertile friends,
to quietly excuse myself from baby showers and get-togethers where there’ll be
a lot of parents and kids, to pretend like I never got the email about
takethemameal.com. But I was so amazed by Larissa, who, rather than being
envious of and avoiding her friends with normal marriages and cute-as-pie
kiddos, instead welcomes their friendship; she embraces what they do have in
common, rather than what they don’t.
Lastly, Larissa’s hope and thankfulness are beyond humbling
to me. She hopes that Ian will get well, that they’ll someday have the marriage
and family they see others enjoying. But even if her earthly hopes never materialize,
she clings to the hope of heaven — knowing healing and fullness there is a sure
thing — and she remains thankful for the small blessings in each day on earth.
As the months wear on, I feel my hope receding, and in its place is growing a
resignation, a bitterness. I forget to be thankful of the blessings I do have;
I’m tired of the good things in my life, when I should be fully living into and
relishing every childless opportunity that comes my way.
These are all hard lessons, and my soul is not very
teachable during this season. Even today, full of the knowledge that God is at
work on my heart, I feel self-pitiful and resistant to transformation. But
maybe He can still grow me into someone a little more like Larissa, a woman
five years younger than me but infinitely more humble, selfless and wise.
1 comment:
wow. just, wow. I should have something profound to say after that, but I don't. thank you for sharing their story, and thank you for continuing to share your story.
Post a Comment