Last weekend Philip and I took a break from real life (and from fighting) to go on a press trip to The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain in Avon, Colorado, near Vail. Unlike pretty much all of my work trips thus far, the itinerary was wide open, giving us freedom to do as we pleased. (I am a big fan of this approach, as it allowed us to experience the resort more like a typical tourist would, and I’m sure it was cheaper for the resort as well.)
On our arrival on Thursday afternoon, we decided to go for a jog on the bike path that runs along the Eagle River from Avon to Edwards and beyond. It was hella tough (Avon sits at 7,430 feet above sea level, while Orlando is at a lowly 106). But on frequent walking breaks, I could really soak in our surroundings—snow-capped mountains, soft green grass, a cloudless sky, a surging brown river and humidity-free air.
That night at one of two planned press activities, we met the wife of a local man who works for the American Craft Brewers Association, and she promised Philip she would raid her husband’s bounteous stash and bring him some bottles. True to her word, Friday morning began with the delivery of seven craft brews to our hotel room, prompting Philip to declare it the perfect “man morning” (waking up in the mountains and being hand-delivered free good beer) and correctly prophesy that it was about to be the greatest day ever.
We breakfasted on organic goodies at Avon Bakery & Deli, whose crew expertly prepared us a packed lunch for our upcoming hike as well. Then we were ready to make our way to the Buck Creek Trail, which gains 2,000 feet in 3.5 miles. (I was of course outfitted in my super-stylish outdoor wear—clunky boots, zip-off pants, sports shades and hiking poles; please contain your jealousy.)
The hike was life-giving, the path never straying far from gurgling Buck Creek. We passed rocky waterfalls and blooming alpine fields and almost imperceptible streams where tiny lavender butterflies quivered on glossy logs. My hips started to ache as we climbed, but each new height brought another rewarding vista—a backward view of the valley far below, a grove of blinding birch trees, and finally, snow concealing our trail. Snow!
We ate our packed lunch overlooking a sprawling green meadow lined with snow banks, and I said, “You know, if we’re serious about raising our [unconceived] kids in an environment like this, we have to move.”
When we made it back to our hotel room some eight-plus miles later, I was happier and sorer than I’ve been in a long time. We ordered a pizza, flipped on our gas fireplace and felt thankful.
Day two wasn’t quite as glorious as day one, but it was never-the-less a super-sweet day—a massage at the spa, followed by a five-mile bike ride to Edwards for a lunch of nachos and buffalo-chicken salad at the Gore Range Brewery. That night we also made sure to take advantage of the hotel’s hot tubs and fire pits.
Now, I had secretly hoped to conceive while we were in Colorado, but alas, I didn’t ovulate while we were there. But my friend Amy A. had challenged me a couple of months ago to not grow discontent if conception didn’t happen on my timetable. She asked me, “Are the blessings you have right now enough?” After a perfect weekend like the one Philip and I just shared in the Rockies, the answer’s obvious.
No comments:
Post a Comment