Tuesday, April 03, 2007

WRASLIN' GATORS

This weekend our good friends Dianna and Jose came to visit. It had been a heavy couple of weeks leading up to their stay ... Philip and I are in the midst of some pretty life-changing decisions regarding housing, church, and career. It was great to just put that stuff out of our minds for a couple of days and enjoy conversation, games, meals, and adventures with close friends.

On Saturday, we played hooky from church to canoe Rock Springs Run. This is something I have been wanting to do for years, and it lived up to my expectations. We paddled eight miles and saw alligators, birds, turtles, fish, and even an otter. Philip and I successfully tested our ability to work together and had sparse conversation. I just reveled in the quiet. I was able to breathe and relax. I felt like rather than waiting and wondering, I was just living.

We stopped to eat our packed lunch at a campsite, and Jose totally lost his balance when he stood up in the canoe, collapsing into the one foot of water and flipping their canoe upside down. Unfortunately, I didn't see it happen; I only heard the loud splash, Dianna reassuring him: "You're OK; you're fine," and Philip yelling, "Save the lunch! Save the lunch!" which had started to float down the river.

Thankfully, neither the lunch nor Jose was hurt, and we got a good laugh out of the whole ordeal. Jose was a really good sport; it was actually his first time canoeing ever in his life, and he did great, steering and all. We decided that to up the ante, we should tell people that an alligator tipped the canoe, and Jose had to wrestle it to get free ... but I can't help it - I'm an honest storyteller.

Pics are up on Flickr.

No comments: