I got news this morning that a Relevant author passed away over the weekend. Kyle Lake was a young pastor at the University Baptist Church in Waco, Texas, with a wife and three young children. He wrote two books for Relevant, one of which I had the privilege of editing and writing a study guide for. He was electrocuted in the baptismal during yesterday's Sunday morning service.
This is news that comes like a punch in the stomach. It makes me want to throw up. It is too gruesome for words. It makes me wonder what kind of God allows a young, bright, beloved pastor and husband and father to be killed during a celebration of new life in Christ. The irony is sick.
Lately in our Bible study, we have been looking at Hebrew names for God that point to his majesty. This week's study is on "Adonai," which points to God as our master. As such, he provides for us, cares for us, defends us, and protects us. He protects us. From what? I am reeling with this question.
I am also tired of blaming God every time something bad happens. There is something so childish about it, and yet I still do it, every time. It seems to be much more helpful to just trust him and allow him to provide for me and others no matter what tragedy life throws at me or someone I know.
So I guess I just turn to God, because where else is there to go? I pray for God to be enough for Kyle's wife and kids and the other people who loved him, like his worship leader, David Crowder. I pray for God's protection on Philip as he flies to California for work this week, however faithless my prayer feels at the moment. And I pray for mercy, that Jesus will come back soon so this kind of shit will stop happening.
Links
Kyle's church
Sermons by Kyle available for download
CBS News article
Baptist Standard article
Brian McLaren remembers Kyle
Blogger Todd Rhoades' thoughts on this tragedy
Buy Kyle's books
No comments:
Post a Comment