Wednesday, November 24, 2004

CHRISTIAN OVERDOSE

Among the too-numerous-to-mention reasons why I am walking away from my job is this: I work with Christian people, speak directly to Christian readers, interact with Christian publicists, and read writings by Christians all day long. While I very much consider myself a Christian ("one who follows Christ"), I have become increasingly convinced that being surrounded by them - and only them - every waking hour is not a positive thing.

I received a story submission today by a man named Samir, a pastor in CA. Samir quoted one of his friends Tim, who doesn't consider himself a Christian. Tim asks this:

“Why don’t Christians present their ideas where everyone else does? They don’t come to book evenings, poetry slams, discussion groups, community service events, and social clubs. There are venues that we as a society set up for people to share ideas. Why are Christians absent from the places where they can’t be in charge?”

Great question, Tim. I am exiting my existing circle to come out where the people are. I hope to see you there.

No comments: